Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hate the pattern, LOVE the sweater

I lost 4+ good knitting days to stupid room spinning motion sickness. Thursday night at knit night, I finally got a bit of knitting in before the meds i was taking stopped working and i started getting queazy every time i so much as caught SOMEONE ELSE knitting out of the corner of my eye. It was aweful!

I, however, have nearly finished my sweater. 
This is the first time I've paid more than $6.00 for a pattern, and its the worst pattern I've encountered. Not only did it take me a week to get it emailed to me, but then I had to rethink more than half of it.
It took me 2 days to adjust my thinking to the pattern. I am a chart girl. I will always be a chart girl. There are no charts and it would take me longer to make one than my time is worth. So i'm winging this one. 
Every time I look ahead in this pattern, I get dizzy and confused. It is not sectioned out into parts. You just sort of happen on, say, a sleeve, in the middle of a row...

Rnd 40: C4b slipping 1st st pwise, , k to 2 before marker, ssk. [Move the piece away from the tips of the needles, and with a separate strand of yarn, cast on X sts for sleeve. Work 8” (or desired length) in stockinette st. 

Break yarn from sleeve. On RS, with strand from body 

of sweater: k1, k2tog, k to last 3 sts of sleeve, ssk, k1]. 

then you start knitting the back. 
the sleeve only connects with one stitch on the underside! I think not!

Right, so needless to say, I (with a bit of help from my dear Mad) am reworking the pattern a bit. 

I have knit up to the sleeve join, and am almost finished with the second sleeve. I want to finish the sleeve and (hopefully) up through the shoulders tomorrow. 
I intend to wear this sweater to Sticks N Stitches Columbus next weekend. 


No comments: